Thursday, July 11, 2013

Reflections

I can't believe it's already been one month since we brought our little Sweet P in to the world. It's been an adventure, to say the least. The memory of how painful labor was is beginning to fade {although I'm not sure it will ever go away completely} and I'm starting to believe that my body WILL return to its normal state.

I was re-reading past blog posts that I wrote while I was pregnant and I'm going to re-visit one as a means of my continued reflection.

Eating/Cravings: Sometimes it's hard to remember that I'm not pregnant anymore and so eating whatever I want, whenever I want, cannot continue. I know that breastfeeding burns like an extra 500 calories/day but I want to make sure that I'm eating healthy for both of us. Also, if you base your caloric intake on the recommended 2,000 I would need to eat SO much more. I would be stuffed full all of the time if I tried to do this. Not gonna happen.

Weight Gain vs. Weight Loss: At my final weigh in {a.k.a. the hospital in Labor & Delivery} I had gained 38 pounds and at my 2 week postpartum check-up I had already lost 30 of it - WHHAAAATT?! I know, crazy! I'm pretty sure that the majority of it was baby and water weight in my feet but it made me feel good that I only have 8 more pounds to go. I'm going to try and shred an additional 10 while I'm at it. We'll see how that goes.

Comments: "You had a baby?!" Yes. Yes, I did. "Did it hurt?" {in reference to labor} No, it was the best feeling ever. YES, IT FREAKING HURT! DUH! "When are you having another one?" Seriously? I just had this one. Can I get a minute? {Also, not for a while}.

Fears: Everything, but mostly germs. I am so scared that she is going to catch something. I mean, even a cold would be devastating for such a tiny human without any vaccines or immune system. Oddly enough, I'm not as scared of SIDS as I thought I would be. I thought I would be up all night staring at her to make sure she was still breathing, but, nope. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fear, I'm just not irrational about it.


General Mood: In general, I feel pretty good. Some days are better than others but I try to remind myself every day how blessed I am to have such a wonderful family. I have so much more than most people will ever have and remembering that is humbling. 


Things I Was Surprised By: How much of a mom I became and how quickly. I can already see myself being a "helicopter mom" so I'm glad that I married a guy that reminds me to chill out once in a while. I was also surprised how quickly I adapted to a minimal amount of sleep. Sleeping for 2-3 uninterrupted hours is now the best feeling and generally leaves me feeling rested. 


Things I'm Most Looking Forward To: Each milestone is going to amazing. I can't believe that we're already at one month. I know time is going to go way too fast and as hard as having a newborn is, I have to remember that these moments are fleeting. 


What I Think Is Really Cool & Crazy: I pushed a baby out of me! I honestly doubted myself for a while, but I did it and I rocked it! Every time I look at her and think about the fact that Brian and I made a tiny human, I cry. She's absolutely perfect and I couldn't be happier that she's mine.


I'm sure I have a million more things to say but Ms. P has a doctor's appointment so I'll end this for now with some pictures...


3 comments: